Kim Jong-un did not appreciate the three-day joint military exercise of the American and South Korean armies. This Sunday, North Korea eight ballistic missiles fired into the waters off its east coast on sunday. “Our military has detected the launch of eight short-range ballistic missiles from the Sunan sector Pyongyang towards the East Sea “, the South Korean General Staff suggested, referring to the sea Japan.
These starts took place within a time frame of 30 minutes. The missiles covered 110 to 670 km at various altitudes, the highest reaching 90 km, the staff said. This multiple start is “unusual” and “completely unacceptable,” said Japanese Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi. North Korea is under severe sanctions United Nations for its missile and weapons programs nuclear.
Invasion dress rehearsal
These new shootings come after three days of extensive US and South Korean military exercises involving the USS Ronald Reagan, a 100,000-ton nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.
These were the first joint maneuvers between the two countries since the new South Korean president took office in early May. Yoon Suk-yeolwhich promised a tougher policy towards Pyongyang, and the first to include an aircraft carrier since November 2017. North Korea has long protested against this type of exercise, which it considers a dress test for the invasion.
Fear of simultaneous attacks
“The exercise strengthened the determination of both countries to respond harshly to any North Korean provocation and at the same time demonstrated the determination UNITED STATES provide widespread deterrence, “the South Korean military said in a statement. Sunday’s missile salvo, which joins about 20 weapons tests that Pyongyang has conducted since the beginning of the year, sends a clear message Soul and Washington.
“This shows North Korea’s intention to neutralize the missile defense system South Korea and the United States with several simultaneous attacks “in the event of war, said Cheong Seong-yang, a researcher at the Sejong Institute. During a summit in Seoul with Yoon Suk-yeol last month, US President Joe Biden assured that Washington would use “strategic means” if necessary to deter North Korea from attacking its neighbor.
The ghost of a new nuclear test
A few hours after departure Joe Biden In the region, Kim Jong-un’s regime tested three missiles, including the Hwasong-17, presented as its most powerful intercontinental ballistic missile. Seoul and Washington have been warning for weeks that Pyongyang could soon conduct its seventh nuclear test, the first since 2017.
North Korea, hit by a strong wave of the epidemic Covid-19, resumed construction of a long – dormant nuclear reactor, new satellite images show. According to the South Korean presidency, Pyongyang conducted detonation tests in preparation for this test.
Get your attention away from Covid-19
Kim Jong-un stopped testing nuclear weapons and long-range missiles when he tried to talk to the then US president Donald Trumpbut controversy failed in 2019. North Korea partially violated this voluntary moratorium by launching an intercontinental missile (ICBM) in late March.
Analysts believe Kim Jong-un may step up its nuclear test plans to divert attention from North Korea’s affected population coronavirus. According to official figures, the country reached 4 million cases on Saturday with a population of 25 million.